Thursday, March 5, 2009

White Soul

There is a certain degree of musical snobbery when the topic of 'blue-eyed soul' comes up. Well I have blue eyes and am white and I enjoy all sorts of music. I don't like the idea of ghettozisation of music - surely its about creativity not race, colour etc. I include a list of my favourite artists often labelled as such.

Dusty Springfield - this performance spot on - so are lots of Black versions as well but so is this!

Van Morrison
Elkie Brooks
- I first saw her in her Vinegar Joe days.
Steve Marriott
Average White Band - Scottish soul at its best. I remember seeing them 35ish years ago at 3.00am having breathed in substances - (only ever done that 3 or 4 times by the way) - brilliant

Steve Winwood
George Michael

I melt everytime I hear this

Bonnie Raitt
Duffy
Adele
Sharleen Spiteri
- love her

Paul Weller
Lisa Stansfield
- she comes from 'round the corner'

No comments: