Thursday, June 25, 2009

What Exactly Is The P-Funk?

My mother rushed into my bed room and grab the needle of the record player and dramatically drug it off the record that was playing. It made that scratching sound, that old guys like me who listened to records back in the day are familiar with.

I looked at her in amazement and shock. She glared back at me with what appeared to be anger, and she said, "Don't ever play that music in my house again!"

And now I was shocked and confused, up to that moment in my life of music appreciation, it had been my mother who introduced me to much of the music that I liked. Wasn't this the same woman who gave me money sometimes to buy records? Wasn't this the woman who had introduced me to jazz, R&B and most of the rhythm and blues that I loved?

If you watch the video below, you will hear the refrain that got under my mother's skin. I believe it goes, "Shit, God Damn, Get off your ass and jam."



Needless to say, I did not stop listening to Parliament Funkadelic, as a matter of fact I later that same year saw them in concert. I have to tell you that I did however make sure that my mother was not at home when I played their music on my stereo.





Mothership Connection by Parliament (Audio CD - April 8, 2003) - Extra tracks
Mothership Connection
by Parliament (Audio CD - April 8, 2003) - Extra tracks

Parliment @Amazon.com

No comments: